Strong Tower

He's faithful through the storm.
"But you are a tower of refuge to the poor, O Lord, a tower of refuge to the needy in distress. You are a refuge from the storm and a shelter from the heat. For the oppressive acts of ruthless people are like a storm beating against a wall" -Isaiah 25:4

"He is my loving ally and my fortress, my tower of safety, my rescuer. He is my shield, and I take refuge in him. He makes the nations submit to me." -Psalm 144:2

"The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous man runs into it, and is safe."-Proverbs 18:10

"For You have been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy." -Psalm 61:3

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sila

hey everyone! sorry it's been so long! life got the best if me, but now i have a ton of things to talk about!

while in africa, i worked in an orphanage. the first day we arrived, we were greeted by all of the orphans and their caretakers. they sang songs and prayed for us, and then began to show us around the huts they lived in and the new buildings God had provided for them. in africa, it is traditional for people to hold hands as they walk together, and, being some the first white people many of these kids had ever seen, we were swamped with children who wanted to hold our hands, learn our names, and be our friends.

the first child to hold my hand was sila. he was a boy about eight years old who looked like he was five from malnourishment. when he first saw me, all he could do was stare. he approached me slowly, unsure if it was okay to come and walk with me. when i saw him coming, i offered him my hand, and he cautiously but happily took it. from that moment on, sila was my shadow. every second he could, he was holding my hand, sitting in my lap; in some way, he was always trying to get as close as he could to me and stay there for as long as possible.

images of sila still filter into my dreams every once in a while. the bond we formed is one that reflected what we should all have for our Father. the faith and desire to be as close to God as possible for as long a time as possible.

so often, we get caught up in what we feel that we need to do as Christians. the only problem is that there is nothing we ever need to do. God doesn't depend on us for anything. but He does desperately want to know us and for us to know the love He has for us.

"13 and they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them.14 but when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, 'permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.15truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.' 16and He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them." -mark 10:13-16

after seeing this sort of love for myself, i can say that there is nothing more beautiful than that kind of reckless, humble, desperate love that can be seen in a child. we should seek after God with humility and recognize His all powerful nature. we should stand in awe of His works and glory. we should attempt to honor Him in all we do with passion and drive towards our goal. but above all else, we must simply reach out and touch Him, desire Him, and try and stay in His presence as long as possible. He is creator, He is Lord, He is Glory, and He is Savior, but He is all this because He is The Lover.

just wanted to encourage y'all and say that He loves you, regardless of anything you have or have not done. He loves you, wherever and whenever you are. all He wants is for you to draw near to Him. so don't be afraid to reach out and touch Him. you are His greatest desire, and the passion of His heart. He loves to hold your hand.

"19we love, because He first loved us." - 1 john 4:19

"8but God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." - romans 5:8

praying for y'all! God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment